God, tell me a story about…a king
“For wisdom is far more valuable than rubies.
Nothing you desire can compare with it.”
This week in Kidventure we learned about Solomon, no, not Solomon Greidanus, KING Solomon who was King David’s son. King Solomon had a special dream where God came to talk to him. Read 1 Kings 3:3-15 or watch the video below to remember what King Solomon’s dream was about.
- How did Solomon show that he loved God?
- Who spoke to Solomon in a dream?
- What did God ask Solomon?
- How did Solomon respond to God’s request?
- What extra things did God give Solomon along with wisdom?
What does 1 Kings 4:29-34 say about how wise Solomon was?
Finally, to see King Solomon’s wisdom in action read 1 Kings 3:16-28.
- How did Solomon solve the problem between the two women?
- Do you think Solomon knew that the real mother wouldn’t want her child to be harmed?
- Did the people think that Solomon was naturally smart or did they know that God made Solomon wise?
If God asked you the same question he asked Solomon what would you answer? Would it be hard not to ask for money or toys or other things that you want? King Solomon wasn’t self centred, he was more concerned about loving God and being a good king for his people than he was about himself. If he had been self centred he would have asked for money and fame and wealth. What is an example of a self centred prayer? And what is an example of a God centred prayer?
As a challenge for this week try focusing more on what God wants and less on what you want (they’re not always different, but sometimes they are!) The more we focus on God the more we become like him, so let’s do like he does!